How To Secure Your Apartment In Bloomington
Safety is a leading concern for all renters from first-time tenants to long-standing Residents. Your apartment is your sanctuary, a spot where you are able to feel safe and comfortable. Keeping that sense of security is crucial to the well-being of your family or roommates and even your four-legged companions. Developing proper habits and making a couple updates to your residence can keep you away from dangerous situations. All you have to do is follow these easy tips for securing your apartment in Bloomington.
Always Practice Safe Habits
Your property already has a range of security features in place to help keep occupants safe and sound, but you need to engage with them correctly! Make sure to secure all gates and doors after using them, specifically if it requires a card, key, or passcode from a tenant, like an exercise room or swimming pool. If your community uses door buzzers or keypads at entrances, only utilize them for your own visitors. Allowing in someone you don’t know could create a potentially risky situation for you and your neighbors!
On the topic of your neighbors, they are important in securing your apartment in Bloomington. Get to know your people in your building and determine which units they live in. Knowing this helps you discern if any questionable characters are hanging around. Your fellow tenants may also be looking out for your best interests should an incident arise. Ultimately, safety is a group effort!
Components to Secure Your Apartment in Bloomington
Security devices are vital to proper security. Here are some widely-known and useful implements and how to incorporate them:
- Locks and bolts: Your access points like your main entry are equipped with locks - utilize them! Intruders search for the easiest way in. Securing your doors and windows at night and before you leave is often all it takes to discourage the novice thief.
- Slide bar: A sliding door that opens to a back porch is known to be a likely attack point. Installing a slide bar on the track to prevent it from moving makes it nearly impossible for entry.
- Security cameras: Your apartment complex might have security cameras installed to safeguard Residents, but integrating your own can be a good idea. Put them near entrances like your sliding door or over a central walkway in the space to maintain a close watch.
- Smart lighting: An easy trick for securing your apartment in Bloomington is to use lighting that will make prospective intruders believe you’re on site. Smart lights that have the ability to be scheduled to illuminate at specific points or activated with a mobile device app will make it appear like occupants are there.
- Curtains: As simple as it may appear, minimizing sightlines into your apartment keeps your valuables away from curious onlookers and keeps prowlers guessing if you’re present or not.
Getting Locks Rekeyed Or Replaced Is A Smart Measure
Before you pack all your furniture into the rental truck, it’s wise to ask if the door has been switched out or rekeyed. Making sure you have new locks is wise to be certain the prior tenant can’t gain access to your new apartment. In the event it has not been updated, this is a job the property team should take care of for you.
Tenant Insurance Is Essential
Even if you integrate all of these suggestions on how to secure your apartment in Bloomington, renters insurance is still essential. Your provider will back you up and assist you in replacing stolen or damaged belongings should the unforeseen take place. Put your mind at ease with a renters insurance policy.
Ready To Select Your New Apartment In Bloomington?
Now that you know how to secure your apartment in Bloomington, it’s time to find your new home at City Flats on Tenth. We have sizeable floor plans, courteous staff, and the sought-after amenities you are looking for. Reach out to or schedule a tour to start the process.